Old 04-15-12, 11:23 PM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rethinking luggage rack - and colours!

I'm rethinking the luggage rack. I was convinced that it wasn't necessary; now, I'm not so sure. I went to sort some items and saw my camera bags. Hmmm, forgotten about those. A rack would be useful for strapping a tripod and other miscellaneous items. I'd carry the more fragile items up front or strapped to me, but I could see tying down a bag of camera items that are "less fragile". And I have to admit, I take a pretty big lunch with me on a daily basis: thermos, lots of fruit, microwave container. The front bag would be pretty much full with my daily work bag (laptop, files, etc.).

I think I've narrowed down the colours though. I've realized that no one colour combination really strikes me as a "must have/that's so me" scheme. I intend to get a brown Brooks saddle regardless.

1. Racing green frame with black extremities. Practical, I like the racing green, not sure about the two tone look though; a bit "dark" overall - maybe a sage green with black would have had more contrast?
2. All black. Classic, never really in style, never really out of style. My wife thinks it's not bad, but looks too severe overall. I have a lot of black already - wouldn't mind something a bit more youthful looking.
3. All racing green. My first choice originally, then I saw one in person. Nice, but not quite the impact I thought it might have. Perhaps it will look a bit too dated or conventional later on?
4. All sage green. Hmmm... wasn't even on my list in the first place, but I saw a good photo and it's quite sharp. It's grown on me a bit; would be a reasonable complement to my current colour palette of bags and clothes. My wife (who has better taste than me) thinks this is best overall.

I also considered the raw lacquer, but I'm not sure. Photos can be very inaccurate, but the tone seems to range from grey all the way to a bronze-green. Not sure I really want that.

I'm also thinking I should swap up to the Schwabe Marathon tires instead of the stock Bromptons.

Lastly, trying to decide on a front bag. I'm debating whether it is worth getting the folding basket so that I can shove my current work bag in, or to get something more purpose built, like the C-bag or the T-bag.

And I've seen a ton of comments on transporting the Brompton as checked luggage. What's the consensus these days? Hard shell? Soft b-bag?

Finally, what do people do about lighting? I've read that the dynamos are not the best sometimes. Has anybody bought separate LED lighting that works well and can be left on within the folded bike?

Last edited by Ozonation; 04-16-12 at 12:59 AM.