View Single Post
Old 04-16-12, 07:49 AM
paisan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The A to C is usually pretty consistent in a model line regardless of size because it's mostly based on wheel size, desired tire clearance and whether or not suspension forks are specced for the bikes. Since suspension forks add the length of their travel to the distance from axle to the crown those forks will always be longer than a non suspension fork. For example 80mm forks generally have an A to C of around 450mm but a typical fork for a road bike is usually around 360-370mm. That means if you were to use a standard road fork to replace your suspension fork your headtube would sit 80-90mm lower than it does now, and would have in my opinion a very noticeable difference in handling.

Sheldon Brown has a good article about the effects of A to C on handling. Keep in mind that this article is based on a straight swap of road forks to another pair of road forks with A to C differences of around 10mm. Suspension to non suspension will have you at differences a lot greater than that.

There are manufacturers that make forks designed for the greater A to C but I can't remember any off of the top of my head. and really the only purpose of my post was to forewarn you before you spend good money on a set of forks that you might not notice were possibly unsafe until you went out for your first post-overhaul test ride.