Old 04-16-12, 08:38 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rethinking luggage rack - and colours!
I'm rethinking the luggage rack. I was convinced that it wasn't necessary; now, I'm not so sure. I went to sort some items and saw my camera bags. Hmmm, forgotten about those. A rack would be useful for strapping a tripod and other miscellaneous items. I'd carry the more fragile items up front or strapped to me, but I could see tying down a bag of camera items that are "less fragile". And I have to admit, I take a pretty big lunch with me on a daily basis: thermos, lots of fruit, microwave container. The front bag would be pretty much full with my daily work bag (laptop, files, etc.).

I think I've narrowed down the colours though. I've realized that no one colour combination really strikes me as a "must have/that's so me" scheme. I intend to get a brown Brooks saddle regardless.
Reading this I am thinking I would buy the rack and the T-baf for this kind of situation. Tre rack as a stable platform for rolling the bike as a cart with all the stuff you want to bring innside the T bag, since you can roll it like this with the bag still atatched. When I travel with a folder and "lots of stuff" i worry about loosing some of the stuff. Therefor stuffing it all in the T bag sounds like a good solution.This way you can use the bike as a luggagetrollu down those looong corridors where you can not really wheel a bike, not even a Brompton. Of course the rack is a spare luggage platform but I would not count on it as something you use often. The supersmart parking of the B can not be used with luggage on the rack.

1. Racing green frame with black extremities. Practical, I like the racing green, not sure about the two tone look though; a bit "dark" overall - maybe a sage green with black would have had more contrast?
2. All black. Classic, never really in style, never really out of style. My wife thinks it's not bad, but looks too severe overall. I have a lot of black already - wouldn't mind something a bit more youthful looking.
3. All racing green. My first choice originally, then I saw one in person. Nice, but not quite the impact I thought it might have. Perhaps it will look a bit too dated or conventional later on?
4. All sage green. Hmmm... wasn't even on my list in the first place, but I saw a good photo and it's quite sharp. It's grown on me a bit; would be a reasonable complement to my current colour palette of bags and clothes. My wife (who has better taste than me) thinks this is best overall.

I also considered the raw lacquer, but I'm not sure. Photos can be very inaccurate, but the tone seems to range from grey all the way to a bronze-green. Not sure I really want that.

I would go for one colour and I would go for something classic. A colour that you find stunning today could be stunningly out of fashion ten yrs from now. My personal favourite would be black with a brown Brooks and a Brown leather bag http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-...qab-prod22328/

I have not seen a raw coloured bike myself but reading about others comment I belive they are stunningly beautiful.

I'm also thinking I should swap up to the Schwabe Marathon tires instead of the stock Bromptons.

Lastly, trying to decide on a front bag. I'm debating whether it is worth getting the folding basket so that I can shove my current work bag in, or to get something more purpose built, like the C-bag or the T-bag.

I have the basket and like it but find as soon as you are doing something like traveling one bag and one open basket is just one extra item to deal with. Also if I am not riding straight home from the shop I fear stuff is going to fall out more often than with a basket on a regular bike becouse I tend to fold the bike often.

And I've seen a ton of comments on transporting the Brompton as checked luggage. What's the consensus these days? Hard shell? Soft b-bag?

Finally, what do people do about lighting? I've read that the dynamos are not the best sometimes. Has
anybody bought separate LED lighting that works well and can be left on within the folded bike?

When deciding remember the dynohub can also be used to charge a cellphone or similar.