Old 04-16-12, 01:55 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Miscellaneous thoughts:

1. I upgraded to the Schwalbe tires and am pleased with them.
2. I have the sage green bike and still think the color is beautiful. I like the lacquer a lot, too...but it's significantly more expensive, of course. I'm not really a fan of the contrasting colors; to me it looks too busy. But that's a matter of taste.
3. I have the hub dynamo on my Brompton and am a big fan for the simplicity. I went with the Shimano hub (a really good deal!), but then bought and installed the much nicer light that comes with the SON hub. This ended up being less than half the price of the SON hub option. I particularly like that you can set the lights so they come on when it's dark; it's nice to not have to think about it at all. And it is very bright.

However, I have LED lighting on my BF, and it works well, too.

4. The main compartment of the C bag is about the size of a 24 pack of coke, if that helps.

5. You can always use something like a Carradice bag to carry other items on the back of your B, with our without a rack. This holds 18 liters, and it also has a place on the top where you can put tie downs to carry other items (like a tripod) transversely. It also looks great with the sage green! These bags attach to the two rear saddle loops on a Brooks or Brompton saddle, and have a third strap that goes around the seatpost. This might be the best option for carrying cameras. The downside, however, is that you have to undo three leather buckles to remove the saddle bag - it only takes about a minute, but that's significantly longer than the five seconds it takes to remove a B. front bag. Meaning that it's better suited for a trip where you aren't getting off your bike and going into a lot of different stores, etc.

6. I have the Brooks B-67 (the one with springs) rather than the B-17. Although if I had a lacquer bike, I would be tempted to go with the B-135 for the steampunk look.

And of course if you are going that far, you might as well get the aftermarket brass hinge clamps: