View Single Post
Old 04-18-12, 11:46 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Looks like a very nice resto project for you!
The race number mount surprises me as I thought those only came up on Euro made pro team bikes from the mid 80's. I guess CB was ahead of everyone in that department.
I also noticed that your bike has a simialr mix of components as the 1972 project bike I am working on right now.
What's interesting is I have a similar mismatch with my crankset and my brake levers with the PO choosing to go with a Shimano 1st gen DA crank and brake levers that do not match the 1st gen Campy NR FD, RD and brake calipers on the bike.
I'm wondering now if there was a sort of a fad or trend during the early 70's where they did this concious mix of parts for some reason (specifically the brake levers and cranks). I doubt if the Japanese parts were later replacements as they fall perfectly in line age-wise to the Campy parts on the bike which look to all be original.
Mixing of parts seems to be generally taboo now with a good portion of the C&V crowd and I understand why it might be, so it kinda slowed down my own project bike resto till I can make up my find on whether to switch the cranks and brake levers to all Campy NR to complete the picture or put back the old Shimano DA stuff. So far I'm leaning towards changing them to all Campy, but dang!, it's not going to be cheap to do so plus the plainish looks of the Campy NR cranks is kind of underwhelming (mostly the chainrings), compared to most other cranks that I'ved used.
I'm wondering if you will be feeling the same with your re-build on this CB, or will you put back the SR and Shimano pieces on the bike?
Please remember to post up pics of the bike when you're done.

Chombi