View Single Post
Old 04-19-12, 08:48 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis
Some of the worst driver behavior towards bicyclists I've seen is from someone driving a vehicle with some business name plastered all over it. On at least one occasion my SO or I have actually called the business to report the dangerous behavior of the driver.

Once, several years ago, at a stop light in town, a jackhole in a pickup (with wife and kids in the truck) with a Jazz Tile logo on the door purposely bumped the back wheel of my SO's road bike. We had the plate number and called the police but didn't hear anything more. I searched online and in the phone book for that business name but didn't find it. I hope he is out of business and divorced by now - ahole!

Conversely, my SO once called a company of a dump truck driver to report that the driver had been very consciencous of giving a bicyclist plenty of room when passing, and suggested that the driver get a raise or promotion!
Different mode of travel, but I was severely harassed on the Interstate by a guy and gal in a big pickup. Finally, when the bumper to bumper traffic let up (they were upset that it was completely clogged and I somehow could make it better for them if I just moved my little car over - getting them 18 feet closer to their destination - some 400 miles further up the road) he was able to pass by. I let I go.

Was getting back on the Interstate about 6 hours later (took a different route) and saw the same guy pass by as I entered on the ramp, but this time I took down his business name and number (large letters plastered on the back window). He worked in the next town from where I was heading. I called his business the next business day and the seceratary said he was out of the office, but could she take a message. I said sure, "let him know that I didn't appreciate what he did, someone with a mean temper may have pulled a gun and shot him, suggested he not do that again - especially whilst driving his company vehicle, and as far as the woman/blonde in the car was concerned she should learn some manners." My hope was that was his mistress (in the pick up) and I was talking to his wife. I then told her that I would agree not to pursue it any further if she promised to pass on my message. She agreed (and seemed shocked).

On another note, I rode with an especially good bus driver for over two hours one day and when I was about to depart I asked him his name. He was reluctant to give it but did, probably fearing some kind of criticism. I then said that on Monday (the next day) that I would write to the transit company to tell them how well he did - how courteous he was to all passengers, how well he drove the bus (no jack-rabbit starts and put your head through the windshield stops), and that is was a pleasant trip.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 04-19-12 at 08:56 AM.