View Single Post
Old 04-19-12, 10:13 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Rowan
Is the t-shirt dependent on you finishing, or do you get it at the start?

It is not unusual for people to turn up, ride a little bit, then pack it away for the day on events like this. It even has happened on the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 randonnee, because the participants wanted to "experience the atmosphere".

I'm not suggesting you would cheat in doing this, either. Not at all. But it might be a gauge for you to see how far you can ride. It might only be 5 miles or even less. But at least you could say you have given it a try, and the adventure at that stage of your recovery would be worth the entry fee.

The driving bit might be a worry, only because of the clotting issue. But if you leave early enough, you can plan for three or four breaks to stop, get out, walk around and exercise the calf muscles in particular to get the blood back up from your legs (to overcome the pooling effect -- the veins have no valves like the arteries and this is what puts at risk people with a predisposition to leg clots). The calf muscles, I understand, play a very important role in moving the blood through the veins.

You might reference Retro Grouch's threads in the 50+ forum, on his attempted return to riding after breaking his hip in a bike fall; they may help you get a clue as to what you might face in getting on the bike, both physically and emotionally. It's worth reading. I have a lot of time for Retro Grouch for one reason or another, and he has worked his way through the issues to gradually increase his riding distances.
I'd registered for this ride back in January, when I assumed I'd be operated on late that month. (I had a dental problem that caused a six week delay.) So everything is paid for, except lodging. (I was going to camp, but I think that's probably a poor choice now.) I'd get the t shirt for showing up.

Here is the ride information:

http://www.casarivercentury.org/Course/OffRoad.aspx

The 'off-road' course uses the C & O Canal Towpath, and has an aid station at the five mile mark. The towpath surface is usually pretty good here, and Canal Road runs alongside. Elevation change is negligible. And I've ridden this section four times since 2008. I can do this. Even if I ride the five miles and get SAGGED from there.

Taking breaks during driving shouldn't be a problem. Put a camera in my hands and the world comes to a stop. I'm concerned about fatigue, so I might need to make this a weekend trip - drive down Friday, ride Saturday, drive back Sunday.

On your recommendation, I looked up Retro Grouch and I've read some recent threads about his comeback. The fear he describes is both real and common for people who have joint replacements. My recovery won't be complete until I forget that I have metal and plastic in place of bone. Eventually I'll get there, but for now I'm thinking about every step, and because the soft tissues are healing I'm aware I have plates and implants sliding over each other whenever I move my knees. But I will get there.