Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It is made from breathable fabric.
Yes, it is, but no, not really.

SP ads claim their apparel made from Artex fabric is breathable, but in my opinion, based on a few hundred hours of use, it doesn't breathe to any appreciable extent. It is really waterproof, though.

My 3-layer REI Goretex parka breathes better than my Touring jacket on rides when all closed up, and it's still pretty darn sweaty. While Goretex is a "breathable" fabric, it is still not satisfactory to many users, thus subsequent modifications like GTX XCR, Active, etc. You'll probably not be comfortable in the Touring jacket in rain (or dry) with it all zipped up and cuffs tight, because it really doesn't breathe much.

Artex is SP's own proprietary fabric, and you won't to find any technical information about it anywhere on the internet. If you call SP and speak to a CS rep, they'll tell you that Artex is breathable, but not nearly as breathable as eVent, and not much else. Next they'll suggest you buy their flagship Elite eVent jacket, since it really is much more breathable. No independent tests of Artex breathability exist AFAIK, so you must rely on the seller's claim that their proprietary fabric breathes. I think Artex breathes enough to measure it in the lab, but the guy on the bike probably can't tell.

I have repeatedly noted that WP/B apparel that is sweaty here in the SE USA is not sweaty at all when I make summer trips to CO/UT/WY/MT. I attribute this to the great difference in RH (75->90% east, 10-20% west). I think this goes a long way to explaining the difference in individual perceptions of apparel breathability.

The point I was trying to make in #29 is that the Elite jacket is a relatively tight fitting WP/B jacket which is usually worn closed up and relies on eVent breathability, while the Touring jacket fits loose and relies on venting and air movement to accomplish the same goal, at lower cost. Describing the Touring jacket as nonbreathable is practically true and technically false, but it (could have) simplified the explanation and saved some writing. The more you write to explain something, the less likely anyone will ever read it, and you can only get so far with editing. I wrote #29 primarily for the benefit of Aushiker, who's looking to replace a lost Elite jacket, and I thought he could use an informed opinion on an alternative SP jacket - but I'm not sure he actually read down that far into the post based on his reply.