View Single Post
Old 04-20-12, 10:55 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
As we have uncovered this year, breakfast is a very important part of everyone's nutrition. The reason that breakfast is so important is it fires the oven (your metabolism) for the entire day. Remember, your body has been catabolic (i.e. asleep) since about the 2.5 hour mark AFTER your last meal. This means that while you were sleeping, depending on what time you ate, rather than your body repairing itself it is using your muscles to keep itself going. Then to wake up and ride, unfueled, further damages your muscle's ability to repair itself. By taking this approach you are , in effect, doing more harm than good.

AZ by saying you are metabolically efficient I am assuming your intended pun is that you are having a difficult time leaning out, correct me if I am wrong.
this is interesting to me. my training schedule is dictated by life, which dictates that my training largely be done prior to 6:15 a.m., so rolling out of bed, downing a cup of coffee and getting on the bike is my norm. i've never eaten prior to riding, usually just drink water, then eat breakfast (greek yogurt and muesli with an apple/pair/blueberries or some other fruit added + more coffee). i thought that this was considered a way for the body to more effeciently utilize glycogen stores to depletion and to then better utilize fat stores for energy. so, the opposite of what you're advocating rkwaki, but, i've noticed that about this time of year i start to crave sugars, and typically gain weight in august - october. also, this year, i'm having difficulty getting "leaned up" so to speak. although i suspect that's a dietary discipline problem, i'd love to blame my morning eating habits!

what do you recommend being eaten and how long before working out?