Old 04-20-12, 11:32 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
rkwaki, do you agree that there is a difference between eating for performance, and eating to train? I would agree that what you are saying is spot on from a performance standpoint, but maybe not ideal for achieving optimum adaptation. When training, I'm eating for adaptation. When racing, I'm eating for performance, and will have breakfast 60-90 minutes before the race.
Interesting question...
Not sure how to answer other than if I have a race engine I am always going to put good gas in it.
In the past I trained to race, I didn't train to train.
When I eat, my nutrition focuses on going fast, not getting lean. Getting lean is a by product of getting faster. As I have started to ride again I am down 12 pounds as I realize that some of my weight has to come off and I have been avoiding carbs and been at 300 grams of protein a day with slightly higher fat consumption. The result? Legs look completely different and have some pretty cool striations.
Point of my rant is I don't vary diet to force adaptation, I always eat for performance.
I do cheat on my diet I won't profess to be perfect but I do the best I can.

You have to really watch nuts, yes they are a good source of fat BUT you are correct very calorie dense and can add pounds pretty quickly.