Old 04-20-12, 09:26 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
2012 H Type Brompton Test Ride Results

Today I had an unexpected ride on a all over racing green 2012 H Type 6 speed Brompton at my local Brompton Dealer/Stockist. It has been several years since I rode a new Brompton. I still really enjoy my 2005 C Type Brompton and will not part with it for any reason. Sometimes it is nice to physically experience the new ideas, components, and accessories that keep coming out even after your own bike’s purchase. I went into the shop to check up on the progress of my ratty little rebuilt rear hub Superstar German made separating frame bike. While I was not able to take that one home today, the demonstrator Brompton seemed to call out to me to try it out. And I did.

The BWR wide space gearing was just as nice as the larger number of gears derailleur bikes I own in the past. It was “just right” as far as my-or most anyone else’s” needs run. The hub gearing’s shifter was intuitive, but I found that the derailleur half of shifting seemed to need some time for me to get used to after the long while that I last shifted on a similar one on my old Flying Dutchman touring bike. The left folding pedal was easy to snap into position to use-or to fold up when not. The most improved part of all was the handlebars & stem. The handlebars themselves are the same M Type ones as before. The change is in the stem’s length and position. It gives the user additional height as well as an even more upright position-big improvement for the taller rider-similar to the old Schwinn Stingray/Manta ray or the traditional Dutch/European City bikes. I do admit that I always gravitate to that sort of riding position even as a young girl. Steering was just as dead-on as the older bikes. Braking has improved with the dual pivot brakes now common on all new Bromptons (my own bikes is only single pivot-I never seem to have any problem with my own brakes even use in rainy periods). The only thing that needed to be changed is the stock saddle. Give me my favorite Nirve/Electra beach cruiser saddles any day still-even nowadays.

Now for the most important question of all: Would I buy one assuming that I had the funds? Of course with some minor changes like the above saddle and raw lacquer finish. Brompton has now far surpassed the type of bikes offered that existed back in 2005 (just 7 years ago). The improvements are vast enough to consider starting over with a fresh bike rather than extensively remodel the present one. The best part of all is I get to keep the old one and still relish the new.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 04-20-12 at 09:33 PM.