Old 04-20-12, 09:41 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by PStephens
I went into the bike shop after work and talked to some older guy there for maybe 20-30 minutes. He showed me some bike over $1000. He said I should get steel and he brought me upstairs to a commuter bike for like $600 I think. They don't sell used bikes. I asked about converting a mountain bike and he said that could work, but the frames on the modern ones are aluminum. I asked about fitting and apparently he can look at me and tell me I'm 58cm. And he said if I buy a bike from them, they'll spend about an hour fitting the bike for me for free I think. Generally though, I don't feel like I learned much more than what I've learned online except what that specific bike shop can offer me.

That commuter bike marked down might be a possibility if I'd have to spend a couple hundred tuning an old used one and getting new parts anyway. He kept talking about the aluminum not being good and that that's what that commuter bike is made of. Then we talked about saddles and he said I could get some leather one that, when it breaks in, will fit you perfectly and can make up in comfort for riding a cheaper bike. Then I asked about clothes and he said I should get these tiny little shorts to keep my butt from getting raw.

Since I've started budgeting my money and selling just my playstation 3, I've gone from about $800 or $900 I think to now $1300 in a couple weeks. If I keep at this pace, I could probably get at least up to $4000-$5000 probably in a few months. Maybe? If I get a bike soon, I can bike to work and save on gas. If I really work at this, this is doable. Watch out doubful friends and family.
He was right about everything. The right bike shorts could be the difference between success and failure. I've learned that I like that shop. No bike shorts might kill an all day ride. Not having them is more likely to cause a problem than having them.

That sounds like a good place to buy a bike. In case he did not tell you, on the road a crashed, bent, steel bike can be bent or welded relatively easily. That is why a true touring bike is made from steel. Also a true touring bike will handle better with a heavy load, it is stiff enough to take the weight properly.

You bend aluminum back and it may break. That's not great in the middle of nowhere. I don't expect you would have any problems unless you crash, with any modern aluminum bike.
If you are alone you might even be able to bend back a steel bike a little on you own. With a huge stick or a pipe etc.

The fitting could also be the success or failure of a trip like yours. The offer of the shop to fit you is a very good thing.

Getting fitted and riding a lot would help you find things that would be very uncomfortable on a long ride. One thing to know is something that is comfortable for 10 miles may not work after 100 miles. You might be fine without this, but you might not be able to ride long enough with a bad fit. It's better to know for sure.