View Single Post
Old 04-21-12, 08:45 AM
chagzuki

Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The simplicity of the latches makes for a fail-safe design, almost nothing can go wrong, so I can see advantage of that. Though in winter gloves it can be hard to twiddle the twiddly bits with ease whereas a Dahon latch is fine with padded gloves on. However, I can't see any reason why Brompton hasn't already switched to a Kamoya/Brompification type enhancement of the design (except done properly with the central bulge), really, it eliminates what I think are really faults in the design, i.e. needing one hand to align the clamp plate which sometimes slips between frame hinge plates, rotates out of position etc., and the other hand to tighten the wingnut thingy. Making the clamp plate longer on one side and adding a spring eliminates those flaws and it would cost next to nothing to implement. I've modded the standard clamp plates slightly and added a circlip (instead of spring) to secure the plate, and the result is a much easier folding process, though the circlip can gradually slide out of position (a spring would be better if I could find one the right size).