Old 04-22-12, 02:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Ishii
Any advice for staying stable during standing sprints (on the track)? I find that I don't feel like I have as much control when I'm standing so I end up holding back quite a bit, particularly in the turns. Just practice? Thanks
It could be a bike fit issue meaning that you aren't able to get in the right position to be stable. It could also be a practice thing. It's tough to say from here.

Originally Posted by gigantor
Would you say that the more one rides, the stronger their calves will become? TBH I rarely use mine. I know I use my tibialis and peroneus muscles a lot, and they've become quite strong over time (not calves, obviously).

I feel like even though calves are a "support" muscle, it is still a vital part of the equation and can be utilized in some way, if anything to rest the other muscles during a hard pull. I feel like the core, the entire body, etc. is pretty much like a bike frame, and if you have a weak link it should be strengthened.

Just my 2cp's, /notcarleton.
Well, yeah, if your calf doesn't support your foot by keeping it stiff then you wouldn't be able to pedal. So, the calf needs a minimal amount of strength. But, improving your calf strength beyond this minimum doesn't do much of anything.

Yes, your calf muscle will get stronger the more you call upon it. If the rest of your legs are being trained to apply much more force, then the calf will in turn have to be stronger to hold your foot stable under the increased load.

I've been trained by some great coaches (one who specializes in weight training) and not one has mentioned any calf exercises.