Old 04-24-12, 09:37 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,389 Posts
Link doesn't work. But heck yes. If I took my HR up to over 160 (near max for this geezer) and it didn't recover to 120 in a minute that would not be good. I've heard this before, but I think those of us who bike a lot will all rate very well, so we don't bother to think about it. Probably has something to do with blood flow in the coronary arteries. I hope mine are the size of sewer pipes.

Other HR recovery thoughts:
If I'm on a long hard ride, stop for lunch or a long break, get back on the bike and see a HR of over 100 just standing there, I know I'm screwed. I've overcooked it.
The best way to keep track of your state of recovery or exhaustion is to take one's HR in the morning, first lying down for 5 minutes, then standing for 2 minutes. The standing HR after 2 minutes is the important one. If it's up 10 beats or more over well-rested, you're screwed. If the supine resting HR is up 6-8 beats, that's also a sign you need rest. IME these HRs are more meaningful if one gets up, does one's toilet, and gets dressed before taking them.

You're going to do 8000 miles this year? Way to go!