Old 04-25-12, 06:27 AM
runningDoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
Yeah I might change it up because the spacers eventually wiggle out of alignment and look slightly odd. I also want a black shim
I hate to be a devils advocate here... but what if you went with a silver stem + seatpost? Keep up with the shiny campy stuff you've already got going?

Thomson makes a nice black stem shim http://www.amazon.com/Thomson-Bicycl...5354409&sr=8-1 (it used to be only $5.00 last year).

I used it throughout my old Trek 5200 USPS build that had a 1" steerer.

Its good to have a silver shim too if you decide to use a silver stem. I like my Ritchey Classic stem - its silver and very lightweight (111g for a 100mm length). The only thing I don't like is that to achieve that weight is they made the stem super wide with probably thin walls. The damn stem has a larger diameter than my top/down tubes.

ControlTech offers small diameter stems in both black and silver (the silver is heavier by 40g though). The key is to match a thin diameter threadless stem to clean up the look.

Also I found this (22.2-28.6) quill-threadless adaptor on eBay. (the seller also has a 25.4-28.6 version). It eliminates the need for a shim (directly clamping into a modern 1 1/8" stem). It also sits flush on the threaded headset for a cleaner look compared to tapered quill-threadless adaptor offerings. In my case I didn't even need a spacer (but a 1 1/8 spacer fits fine too). I did run a 10mm velo orange bell mount/spacer for a while and it sat securely without movement after hard rides.

I too was amazed to compute/figure out how even with a quill-threadless adaptor the modern threadless setups are lighter (stem + shim + adaptor+ spacers/ect) than a older quill stem (in addition to being a lot stiffer/stronger).

You could actually just buy a 1" carbon colnago star fork or a new 1" steel colnago fork (used on the modern master x-lights) and drop a whole pound of weight (I computed it - it really is a whole pound and almost drop two pounds with the carbon star fork), simplify and strengthen the whole set up by going with a modern truly threadless system:

It does seem like a expensive (colnago 1" carbon star forks and their 1" threadless steel forks are very very very expensive) solution for a problem that is alternatively solved with a $15 adaptor from eBay though. Plus you have to install a new headset (nothing less than a campy or chris king 1" threadless would be mandatory ) so the expenses keep on adding up (but at least with the chris king you can buy a threaded adaptor kit to keep your options open).

the modern colnago master x-lights with modern groupset and threadless headset systems look fine to me:

Last edited by runningDoc; 04-25-12 at 06:39 AM.