Old 04-25-12, 05:11 PM
Bill G
Bill G

Bikes: Co-Motion Nor'Wester Tour, Co-Motion Primera Tandem, WizWeelz Terra Trike 3.6 Tour model

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tom cotter
I'm a real funtion over form type of person. I also recognize the value of spending up for quality when needed. For example, my job requires that I entertain wealthy individuals. Impressions are important in gaining business. For that reason I drive a Mercedes S550. That said, I will tell you that the Merc is not 5 times the car my wife's Camry is though it cost, more or less, five times as much. In fact, it's not a better car at all. Just a more heavily optioned more expensive car. Make no mistake, I love the S550, I'm just calling it what it is. And truthfully, I like driving my old Jeep GC better.

Anything Co-Motion costs 3x what a Trek 520 costs. You will never convince me that a Co-Motion is 3x the bike. Not even double the bike. No doubt, like the Mercedes, the CM delivers a high quality experience. It is a great bike!!! But from a functionality POV, the Camry of bikes will do the exactly the same thing, just as reliably, and for just as long as the Mercedes of bikes.

I'm not sneering at you or those who buy these high end bikes. I've had a few high end bikes hanging in the garage over the years myself. I'm just not kidding myself about why i bought them. Is there value to be had in these high end machines? Maybe, but not enough to justify the extra cost from a function POV.

From a personal satisfaction POV, well, that's another story. More than enough reason to write the check!!!!

Nor am I snubbing or sneering anyone for buying a Trek 520 or any other good touring bike on the market. Your point is valid in a lot of repects. I chose to have and pay for the extra things that come along with a Co Motion tour bike and they may not be 3X better to some but that's a point of view to each his own.

Co Motion matchs there tubing and builds the bike to fit you and your deminsions, they will make a frame tweak just for your needs if needed. That you can not get with a Trek 520 or any other production bike. Don't get me wrong I have several Giant bikes and have had several Treks and there realy good bikes most all made over sea's (Great bike builders over there too) I have an Acura and also a Nissan Versa car and get your point my Nissan is functional at half the cost, point taken , also have a good old American made Ford truck to pull the travel trailer.

But if you want that little extra like custom paint, two tone paint fades, painted panels, flames, of your choice, custom fit, better quality tuding, matched tubing for your needs and attention to detail that is not available from mass produced bikes like Trek & Giant pay and get a custom Co Motion built.( These things I wanted) Also Co Motion has the best steel fork going on the market tor touring and tandems period and I will put money on that statement.

I am aware and understand the truth of what you said fully and yes you pay a lot more for these little diffrences (can be big diffrences) when you buy a Co Motion.. Most of us that buy Co Motions get it and have dealt with your point of view and put it to rest in our own mind before paying the big bucks for a Co Motion.

Ride Safe,
Bill G

Last edited by Bill G; 04-26-12 at 12:05 AM.