View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 09:32 PM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Just today on the River Trail, which is our major cycling path here, on a section of the path that is heavily wooded, I pass an older gentalmen. Right after passing him I heard a rustling coming at me from the woods, just then a huge Golden Retriever, sans a leash mind you, jumps onto the path right in front of me. Luckily for us both I quickly reacted, applying my rear brakes and swerving to miss him.

That how dogs materialized out of thin air.

There are many occurrences everytime I go riding. That was just one that happened today. Some women decided to stop on horses at the end of a bridge that we were approching and just sat there while we rounded a corner, not moving for us. That could have been bad.

Then a Hispanic family that spoke very little english were spread out across the bike path with zero organization as we approach at a good rate of speed. There was no way, even in proper spanish, to get the whole grouo organized and out of the way in time, so we all had to come to a complete stop, unclip and ease around them.

You see, theres just so much that can go wrong, why not just wear a helmet? It's not hurting anything. I don't think anyone has been injured because they had on a helemet.

There are two types of riders, those who've fallen, and those whom haven't fallen yet. It's not about relying solely on your helmet. I also use skill and knowledge to stay safe. But I do like knowing that just in case the Law of Probability catches up to me one sunny day while I'm out tooling around and some ninja dog mysteriously vaporizes right before my eyes on the bike path, if lady luck not be with ,me, I had in helmet.