Old 04-25-12, 09:47 PM
vsanthos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie with a borked drive train looking for help

So, I've had this thread going in the Clydesdales group for about a week now. I have a Specialized Rockhopper from the 90s (as specific as the guy I bought it from could be), and I'm happy with the bike, but ever since I got it back out for the summer I've had some issues. The first time I rode this year, I stopped to buy some lunch, when I came back, I hopped on my bike and got about 200ft down the road before my pedals locked up and I ended up walking it home. My chain became twisted and I straightened it as best as I could, but it just wasn't working very well. I thought that maybe someone had knocked it over when I was inside, but I have no way of proving this. It has a friction-shifting system and when I would slide either shifter forward with my thumb, and I could just watch it slide back about 50% of what I pushed it.

I am a very new and inexperienced mechanic, so maybe my explanation is fairly weak. I will try to give all the information I can, but I know the following picture spam will give a better understanding. But, what I would love an opinion on is: is the drive train done with? Would changing out the broken/bent cogs be worth my time? Someone in the other thread mentioned that the bike looked like it was wrecked at one point and they were surprised it functioned. Is the frame maybe tweaked a bit? It appears to be fairly straight, but I don't have a lot of experience. Anyhow, on with the picture spam.

Here is a link to the other thread, incase any of it helps. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...etrain-Disdain