PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jethro56
Sooner or later something is going to disrupt your journey. It's all how you deal with it the defines how successful you are.

THIS....in a huge way!

It may be a small disruption or big, but how we deal with it not only helps/hinders us as we get through it, but also how we get back to "normal" when it's over. Furthermore, how we deal with it can encourage others to get through their detours, too. My last year has sucked, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I have met a ton of new friends. Some of my nurses will be friends forever. I agree with Street Pedaler, too. While I was laying in my bed, watching 6 bags of fluids (three of them chemo) pumping into me with what seemed to be the volume of a fire hose, I laid there thinking how I was being cured. Several times, the person in the room next to me had been given the news that there was nothing else that could be done. Yah....and I thought I had it bad! It's all relative and there is always someone who could look at your situation and wish they could "only" have it as bad as you.

My goals in my journey have been:

1) Survive
2) Show my kids how to get through a miserable situation with class and dignity
3) Be an encouragement to anyone else diagnosed with this evil disease, even if it's just a shoulder to cry on
4) Survive
5) Get back in shape to hopefully minimize the odds of a recurrence. Diet has changed.
6) Prove to myself that I'm not a quitter.

Every day is a gift for which I am grateful. I never realized how much.

We're starting out slow. My wife is very much over weight. I am somewhat. I have no hamstring and she has no endurance. If we got out there and pushed too hard right off the bat, we'd injure ourselves and have to stop riding. That doesn't do anyone any good. We've done 42 miles in the past two weeks and feel great. Our longest ride (recently) was 17.5 miles. We're going to break 20 this weekend. Little increases as we go. After all, this is a lifelong journey, not a sprint race. We will be healthy....together.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 04-26-12 at 11:40 AM.