View Single Post
Old 04-26-12, 06:21 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Seeking input on training plan.

I have never done a proper training plan for rides or racing, so bear with me and educate me along the way. I have read the Powermeter book by Coggan, but still reading it again for a second time.

I am doing a century in 8 weeks exactly with 13000+ feet of climbing. I currently live and train in south FL, so no mountains or even hills to train on. 100% flat roads, but windy most times. I do have access to a power meter and my measured FTP as of last week in about 230. I regularly ride 150-200 miles/week. I know I can finish the ride, but I want to do it in a decent time for myself (whatever that is) without breaking any records. So, here is my self made training plan. Please critique it to death and add or subtract anything you think would be helpful. Keep in mind I don't race nor have any desire to. I just want to get better and faster/stronger for personal satisfaction.

Sunday: Long ride of 4.5 hr at 70-80% FTP
Monday: no ride or recovery 1 hr ride at 50-60%FTP
Tuesday: 2x20 min at FTP and 1 Hr at 80% FTP. Will try 3x20 min at FTP during weeks 6+7.
wed: 1 hr at 80-90% FTP
thursday: recovery 1 hr at 50-65 FTP
Friday: 3x10 min FTP plus 1 hr at 80% FTP
Saturday:2-2.5 hr ride at <80% FTP

Week 8: no intervals. Easier rides 1-3 hr.

I certainly want to get stronger and faster at the same time even though I am going to pace myself during the actual ride. My main questions are:

1. Will this plan make me stronger while climbing? If not how should I alter it to make me stronger on the climbing portion specially.
2. Does this seem reasonable for an 8 week plan? If not, suggestions?
3. Any suggestions to modify this particular plan or do you have a different plan to follow that would work better for these purposes?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dgasmd; 04-27-12 at 03:04 PM.