View Single Post
Old 04-26-12, 08:33 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Windiest ride yet this year

Tonight's Bumble B shop ride was the windiest yet. NWS webpage on my phone at the start listed 22 mph steady winds out of the north, with gusts to 28. The headwind on the way out continually broke us into several smaller groups and I managed to bridge a few times, but then finally fell off for good as we turned to come home. At one point, with the tailwind I was chasing at 31.7 mph on flat terrain and was still losing ground on the leaders. I've never ridden that fast on a flat road in my life.

Into the wind all I could think of was Marty Feldman's famous line from the graveyard scene in Young Frankenstein: "Could be worse...could be raining." Coming back all I could think of was "if I'm riding over 20 mph, why do I feel like I'm just crawling along?"

Finished the 26.1 miles with a moving average of 17.8, coming in with one other rider. At least there was some comfort to be had in knowing there were still others behind us. For anyone interested, here's the Garmin data.