View Single Post
Old 04-27-12, 10:11 AM
paisan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly's Built Back up

It's been awhile since posting about my training session with a field dog in this thread and I now have an update(tried posting in original thread but BF kept freezing)

UPDATE:
I made some calls and got some quotes from a local builder and a guy down in Baltimore. The prices were about what I expected so I was discussing my options with a mechanic at the shop whose been wrenching for close to 40 years. He said because I thought all of the movement was in the left side chain stay it might be fixable without needing a jig but he needed to dig the tools out and take some measurements.

I stripped the frame and Wednesday night after the shop closed we set to work. The left side chain stay was still out 15mm, this is after I pushed it back enough so I could get home the day I got knocked down. he took some more measurements and pulled the tools out, after an hour or so of pushing, pulling, and measuring we got the stay back in place and the dropouts parallel to each other.

Only thing is my spacing is now 130mm vs the original 132.5. We kept trying to get it back to 132.5 but the juice was not worth the squeeze because we were causing more damage than we were fixing. So after one set of measurements when the frame lined up straight as an arrow and the spacing measured 130mm I said "perfect". yes I lose the ability to use MTB hubs but thats ok, I was running road wheels anyway. Before the accident I had been contemplating building up a tougher set of wheels so I could do some mtb trails with it and in theory I could just pull the frame apart 5mm and cram the wheel in there, but after seeing how malleable that frame is I'm not risking it.

Last night I put the bike back together and did some parts swapping. I swapped out the Dura Ace cranks for a set of black Ritchey cranks from my trainer bike purely for the cosmetics and ditched the grungy white tape for some new black stuff. Without further ado.. here's my Surly crosscheck post rebuild: