Old 04-27-12, 05:11 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, this has been an awesome read. I would love to know how the OP is doing with their goals! Tom, those wheelchair to bike shots are AWESOME. I'm working through my own challenges from the cancer, but holy cow! You are an inspiration, my friend.

For those who worry about people who snicker, or go so far as to make comments, no matter how juvenile it sounds to say it, just think:

"I'm over weight. You're a jerk. At least I can lose weight!" I pity anyone who has to make those comments. Imagine how it must be going through life so insecure that you have to make yourself feel better at someone's expense like that! Truly sad. Ride with your head held high. You've earned it, one stroke at a time!

Whether you're a clyde/athena or not, when you see one, encourage them. Whenever I pass anyone on the MUP (which isn't all THAT often), I offer a positive word. It may be as simple as a "good morning" or "beautiful day for a ride", or if climbing, some comment like "this was a lot easier going the other way!". One, I treat them as the equal that they are, and I think they appreciate it. 2) especially on the hills, they know I'm having a hard time, too. I'm going faster than they are, but still suffering. I slowed down one day to offer what appeared to be a very new clyde rider some advice to stop mashing on the hill. Simply explained to him that if he spun faster, his knees would like him more. He shifted, thanked me and told me this was his first day on the bike. I said "good for you, and hopefully it's not the last!" He smiled the best he could and I rode off. I hope he's still riding.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 04-28-12 at 10:50 AM.