View Single Post
Old 04-29-12, 01:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I agree with the OP about the deficiency of a lack of weep hole in the bottom bracket. Back when I was Campagnolo's east coast service tech, I saw decent numbers of bottom brackets corroded from the inside out, and submitted for warranty. I'd point out to the nature of the damage and decline to warranty the BB referring the owners back to who made the frame. I even published articles in the trade press about the importance of weep holes, and didn't make too many friends in the process, since the majority of high end and custom frames didn't have them.

Fuji is not alone in this lack of a BB weep hole, and since, not having them seems to be standard industry practice it doesn't make sense to single them out. I suggest that the OP drill his own and move on. He should address the problem at the source by reducing water entry at the seat tube. I do this by making the post has an even coating of grease inside the frame. I also apply a bead of stiff water pump grease in the seat tube slot, and around the top of the tube where the post emerges to form a water proof fillet. On my good road bike who's seat post is never moved, I use silicone bathtub caulk to make a permanent seal there. (and there's still a weep hole in all my frames as plan B).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.