Old 04-30-12, 11:34 AM
Rainer Dynszis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wmodavis
'True' is only one aspect of a well done wheel build. And you did not mention if you are referring to both radially and laterally true or just one or the other. Both are important.
Well, in both aspects they are true enough to not insult the naked eye.

Then again the rhythmic scratching of a plastic gauge against the rim reveals that they aren't perfect laterally. (I just found out that cable fasteners tied around the chainstay or the fork make excellent makeshift gauges .)

The uneven tension is however a major sin. I for one, would not tolerate that major defect. If left will likely contribute significantly to spoke failure via metal fatigue.
I understand that's pretty much exactly what I suspected.

You put a lot of trust in the wheels you ride on and depending on your style of riding put them at more or less risk. They should be trued, tensioned and stress relieved properly to the highest of standards or you risk more than your wheels.
Now for the practical aspect: If the wheel is reasonably true now, it probably won't be true anymore after I evened the tension, regardless of whether I go by ear or by tensiometer.

On the other hand (like I said to Kimmo) I'd rather not go back to square one and loosen all spokes, or is that the easiest way to go?