Old 04-30-12, 04:32 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by whatwolf
I finally have a bike to put in this thread!

Looking for opinions on whether my new-old Merckx would be ruined aesthetically if I went threadless (converted.) Considering it because I want to try bars with less drop and the stem length isn't quite right so it would make it easier to change things out, and that Colnago and Bridgestone up there^ have almost managed to convince me that it can work.

Other things to consider: it will get white tape when I change the bars, and I am thinking about gumwall Veloflex tires - I have an extra set.

That's an incredible bicycle.

A few points.

1) The stem that's on there right now should stay. I wouldn't put anything on there but a quill. Try looking for another Cinelli bar/stem combo that works, but definitely keep a quill. Maybe a 1a with a set of Model 64s.

Also put some miles on the bicycle before giving up on the drop. I don't prefer that much drop nowadays, but I have been called Grandpa lately by the students in my class.

2) Black saddle, black tape if at all possible. Yours matches nicely.

3) Veloflex tires are outstanding, but gumwalls don't work for me on this frame's color scheme. Go and find some Veloflex Corsa 23s in black. You can thank me later.

If you must, any of the Veloflex tires will give a great deal of performance for the $$.

Last edited by gomango; 04-30-12 at 04:52 PM.