Old 04-30-12, 09:08 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Yes Digital Cowboy, I've read the threads - and as tragic as they are - they are still the anomaly. Cars kill people - bikes, not so much.
And I'm still not sure the pedestrian killed was the cyclist's fault, as the last I read, the rider was in the intersection when the light turned red. The crosswalk light should account for vehicles in the intersection.
I agree with you that they area an "anomaly" but that doesn't mean that they should be "ignored" either.

Like you, I'm not fully convinced that the cyclist was totally at fault for the crash that resulted in the pedestrian's death. As, as everyone is saying that the cyclist had entered the intersection under the yellow and the pedestrian(s) for whatever reason decided to start crossing against the light. Then he/they are at least partially to blame for what happened that day.

Also as I have said when I'm riding in the downtown area (and even in the areas away from the downtown area) I constantly see too many pedestrians who are crossing against the light. And if they're hit and injured or killed then they should bear the lions share of the responsibility for their actions/injuries/death. As well as those who jaywalk.

Which is something I don't understand. If there is a crosswalk within a couple of feet then why not cross there?

As I've said about the cyclist in the S.F. thread. I say charge him with reckless driving (if that charge is applicable) and allow the deceased's family to take him to civil court suing for wrongful death. Where he may or may not be found guilty.

But I do not think that charging him with felony vehicular manslaughter is the right charge.