Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Started cycling 6/1/2010 at 64 - lethargy and 247# weight triggered my foray into cycling
2010 (my first 7 months) = 5,000 miles (I went a little nuts)

Great work hobkirk!

How long have you been training seriously? What sort of weight training did you do? What's your average weekly training volume? How long (hours) are your longest weekly rides?

I started training with a HRM 10 yrs ago, but didn't follow a yearly plan, just trained for 3-4 races a year, starting 5-6 weeks before the race. I ride year long, however.
Went to the gym 3 days a week for a year, used free weights and machines. Not too much weight, 3x10-15 reps each exercise.
I train about 9 hrs per week before a race, plus about 5 hrs of easy commuting. 3 days of 60-90 mins plus a long ride (5+ hrs) on Sunday.
Do you use a periodized training program? What sort of intervals do you do? Do you download your HR data? If so, how much Z4 and Z5 do you see per week when you are training?

Re weight training, I found I got no results unless I worked to failure once/week. I got good results both from following the Friel progression and from just doing sets of 30, twice a week, one day not full-on but almost, one day enough weight for failure.