Old 05-02-12, 11:53 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Titanium, thank heavens"

LOL. Carbon Fibre isn't soluble, Aluminium doesn't corrode, and contrary to rumour, I have never seen a properly-maintained steel road bike with a serious rust problem.

If you ride in the rain you are going to get wet. Rain jackets work to an extent, ut even the most expensive " breathable" fabric does not breathe well enough to cope with your sweat when you are cycling at a moderate pace. You get wet from the inside, unless it's very cold - and that is pretty much what rain jackets are good for, to keep you from getting cold and wet instead of just wet.

Waterproof shoe covers work within limits, but water tends to get in from the top. A combination of shoe covers and sealskinz socks (they have a gore-tex liner) can work.

Skull caps, or a buff twisted to function as one, are useful IMO. They don't keep you dry, exactly, but they do reduce the random streams of water coming off your hair over your face.

The drivetrain noise is your chain. Dry lubes wash off in the rain. Don't worry too much about it, just dry it off and re-lube it when you get home.

This won't have been much comfort to you. The answer is, nothing will keep you dry so just HTFU and get used to it. Personally I have no problem riding in the rain, it's riding in the rain and wind at low temperatures that is unpleasant. As long as it is reasonably warm, I just get wet. So far, there's no sign of me or the bike dissolving. LOL.

EDIT volosong, the idea that one has to strip down the whole drivetrain every time one gets rained on is ridiculous, IMO. In places where it rains more often than SoCal, bikes continue to function perfectly well and nobody strips them down on a daily basis.

Last edited by chasm54; 05-02-12 at 11:58 AM.