Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Sent this:

Time to get an update...

To my knowledge I never got a reply as to who was responsible for this grate...

Bike Lane at corner of Upper Boones Ferry Rd/SW Durham Rd

Thanks to Michael Magee of PBOT, I was turned onto the drawings of Oregon Design Standards, and while I cannot yet identify what kind of concrete inlet this is (it's not a G-2), the gaps permitted according to the RD364 drawing is only 3/8" if the grate was shoved to one side or the other. I might be smart enough not to ride over this gap, but someone else might not be.

So, my questions for this email...

Who does this grate belong to?

What type of concrete inlet is it?

If I was to go out there this morning, would I have found that something was done? I love it when photos are sent..

Oh, and for those of you who may not have gotten the message about the grates near the Tualatin Library. They were dealt with... Tualatin welded in a shim to help fill in the gap that I brought to their attention. (Thanks folks)

As always, Replies Grately Appreciated

Thanks,
K'Tesh

Got these:

Sheila Lyons, ODOT
K'Tesh - don't be discouraged - you've done a LOT of good. Keep the e-mails coming and the sticky wickets will get attention. It's frustrating that these problems persist, but our maintenance units are stretched thin. You'll notice they respond when notified. Over time, they'll start looking out for these issues.
I don't know who this belongs to, but I'm certain someone on your list does.
Dick Schouten, Washington County Commissioner
K'Tesh:

Let's find out if the County (has jurisdiction) can help here. FYI, I've copied several other key County employees and County Commissioner Rogers. He is the Commissioner for that area and deeply involved in all matters transportation.

Dick Schouten
Thanks for your prompt response, Dave.
Dave Schamp, Washington County Maintenance
Commissioner,

Durham and Upper Boones Ferry Roads are not Washington County roads. Based on the limited information we have, depending on location, they belong to either ODOT or the cities of Durham, Tigard or Tualatin.

Basil Christopher, ODOT Bicycle & Pedestrian Coordinator
We should also check with ODOT maintenance; I see Cory Hamilton with District 2B was copied on the email.
Cory Hamilton, ODOT Maintenance District 2B
The grate belongs to ODOT and we will be putting a shim on the grate on the next available dry day. The grate did vary in width on the gap with one end at just under 3/4 of a inch to a 1/2 on the other end. I expect it to be repaired no later than Monday May 7, 2012.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 05-02-12 at 03:46 PM.