Old 05-02-12, 09:01 PM
Nbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a week to kill in Tampa/St. Pete 2 years ago while the GF was at meetings so I took my bike. On the way to the hotel we dropped in to a shop to pick up some CO2 ( the airline confiscated mine) and asked if they knew of any group rides.

Buddy sez to me " Only one I know wouldn't let you unless you pay for a full years membership - It's a liability issue, Florida has the 2nd highest bike fatalities in the US- drivers are A holes around here"

GF freaks out " YOU ARE NOT GOING TO RIDE ! - I'm not taking you home in a body bag" so buddy tells us about the Pinellas trail. Now, normally I'm not one for MUPs but I hauled my bike all the way down there and sticking to bike paths looked like the only way I would ever get on it ( unless I was prepared to sleep in the bathtub - if you catch my drift).

Next morning I got on the trail and a half hour into my ride met up with 4 guys who had taken the week off to train for a Tri. They invited me to join them so every day we rode from St. Pete to Tarpon Springs and back in our own mini-group.

I gotta say " chapeau !" to whoever came up with the idea for the Pinellas. Every urban planner in North America should be forced to go down and see it - that's how you design a MUP !