View Single Post
Old 05-03-12, 04:05 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
The bar tape was the more padded cork/gel tape of modern design you would find at a LBS and really was in good shape but not applied to my liking.

The market is moving slow in my area and still many sellers not realizing what they have. This was one of the examples. Then, on the other hand you have those that want to fund their next trip to Europe with some 70s one-piece-cranked Schwinn Varsity. They just dont realize that old doesnt automatically mean classic.
I've told lots of people on this forum and others that these Schwinn Varsity's and Collegiates and Suburbans just to name a few, including quite a few other brands are junk, they were junk when they were new! I remember those bikes quite well, I'm 59 years old, I had friends who had those bikes, they were always breaking, and they weighed 45 pounds, had chrome wheels that didn't stop once they were wet. I tell these people I wouldn't buy one of those if they were selling it for $15 not alone $125 or more. There are people buying these junk piles because their trying to buy back their youth, and others who are just plain stupid about bikes. Those Schwinns were so junky I just want them to remain a distant forgotten memory of my youth.

It's funny reading those CL bike ads, you get people bragging about a 3 speed Schwinn mixte from the 70's "just like the ones raced in the Tour de France"!! or a Schwinn Le Tour from the 70's "top of the line bike, they didn't make then any better them this"!! Then I saw a 79 Motobecane Nomade Sprint in excellent condition (supposedly) for $2800 claiming this was a top of the line French racing bike favored by European pro racers, and that he would sacrifice a lot to get it out of his garage for $1800! There are fools out there though that will buy this crap.