View Single Post
Old 05-04-12, 12:56 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Buying Garmin Edge 800-questions

I want the Garmin Edge 800 for the cycling data as well as the map functions because I ride in unfamiliar areas rather frequently. But I have some questions:

1. I am not very good with technology. Is the interface user friendly? Are there clear set up instructions and use instructions?

2. I have heard that Garmin's customer support is not the best. I was thinking of buying a reconditioned unit through Amazon, which would save me a $100. But if I bought from REI and had problems I know I can return the unit easily. Thoughts on getting a reconditioned unit?

3. I am unclear whether I need what is included in the bundled version for a couple of hundred dollars more. Can I get speed data without the speed/cadence sensor? How accurate is it? If I wanted to add a speed/cadence sensor later, how hard is it to do that? How about for multiple bikes? The heart monitor thing seems simple, provided that you have a compatible unit. Currently I do not as I use a Polar monitor. The bundle seems to include Garmin's maps for North America. Are there better choices that will work? I have long had a Garmin Nuvi in my car, the maps are only so so.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.