View Single Post
Old 05-06-12, 06:43 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I started randonneuring after riding a lot of centuries in the winter in Ohio and the RBA up there said he thought I might enjoy this randonneuring thing. I'd never heard of it, other than in skiing, where the word applies to a type of ski binding ("randonnee" bindings, known as "alpine touring" in the U.S.). I did my first brevet and was hooked. I enjoy the challenge, the camraderie, and really getting out there and going somewhere on my bicycle. I enjoy designing and riding my own routes, but I also enjoy riding routes others have designed. You can tell a lot about someone by riding a cycling route they designed.

I also enjoy a number of other cycling disciplines besides randonneuring. I have been a bicycle commuter my whole life, since I rode to first grade 35 years ago. I do USAC-sanctioned road races and criteriums. I do time trials. I race cyclocross. I do UMCA ultradistance races. I've done underground messenger races (though I have never been a courier myself and these days I just volunteer at them; they can be dangerous as hell, at least if you're trying to win the damn things). I do club rides. I do charity fundraisers, when the cause is good, the money does some good, and the ride is interesting. I've never done a multi-day tour, surprisingly, but for now what I get out of randonneuring satisfies my touring impulses.

So, oddly, I don't really consider myself a "randonneur" when I think about my cycling. I'm just a cyclist, though I don't ever see myself burning out or geting tired of randonneuring. After 8 full seasons of it, I still see so many different and interesting and new and challenging ways to participate in this sport. I've got a long "to-do" list of events and other things I'd like to do in this sport so, God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be around here a while.