Old 05-06-12, 08:42 PM
deinonychi

Bikes: Gunnar, Surly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A VAR dishing tool is sells for how much?

Howdy,
I spent about ten years working as a wrench in bike shops so when at a yard sale this last weekend I happened to spot a VAR 143 dishing tool I jumped on it. A couple of the better shops I worked in had this tool, and I really liked using it, but I've only had a Wheelsmith dishing tool at home for lo these many years. Anyway, once I got home I checked ebay's completed auctions (you never know), I found that two "vintage" VAR 143 dishing tools had sold in the last month, each for around $300. WOW! This one I just picked up appears to be newer so I doubt it's worth anywhere near that much, but I have to wonder: what is it about a vintage dishing tool that could possibly be worth that kind of money? Also (just in case), I wonder what this one is actually worth?

Any ideas from anyone who is familiar with this dishing tool? A Google search yielded one place that listed this tool for $150 new but was "out of stock", which makes me wonder if it's even available any more. And a Google Shopping search yielded nothing useful.

Oh, and at that same yard sale was a dirty but barely used Park TS2 truing stand, which I also bought. I already have one, but I'll clean up this one and sell it for a fair bit more than I paid. That was a good yard sale.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

John