Old 05-06-12, 11:34 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Another Grail bike build. 1986 Alan Carbonio! Finally! (Update: Build Done!)

Thanks to schnibop I finally aquired a 1986 Alan Carbonio frameset to build up. It's one of my"grail" bikes that I have been searching for, but was never able to find at an affordable price or in good enough condition. It's actually a Carbonio sold through Nishiki in 1986 with only decals and the absence of an FD mounting tang different. The custom tubular wheelset buiilt up in 1987 with Hoshi bladed spokes and Regina7 speed CXS FW are ones I just got from DD before I got the frame. When I saw them on the forum classifieds I just had a feeling that I will need them for a project and I guess this one is it! Coincidence or clairvoyance??......Thanks DD!

I almost have everything on hand in my component stash to build up the bike. One thing the bike is not going to be, is a Campy group build-up which seems to be typical of many Carbonio builds. I'd like to do something different from what's typical or expected by most.

There's a mix of Swiss Italian and French in this component pile. I'm still debating whether to go with the Weinmann Deltas or the Mavic 440 SSC brakeset that I also have. I figure the Weinmann Deltas will go nicely with the Edco Competition cranks, becuase of the Swiss connection, but I'm a little apprehensive about the Deta's performace, which never seemed to get any good reviews. I guess I'll find out......I can always fall back on to the Mavic 440 SSC's which was actually sole by Edco under thier lable together with the Competition cranks. I'm favoring the Weinmanns right now because of their uniqueness.

The Frame from schnibop is as perfect as they come, and almost NOS with no chips or scratches on all the CF tubes. Only thing missing are the Nishiki Decals which the original owner removed. I have an Alan decal set coming in the mail already to fix that.

My first Italian bike (Finally!) this Carbonio, and it's one I considered a grail bike. Only a couple of things left to get before I can build it up, but it should be complete in about two to three weeks. I'll post up pics of the completed bike once it's done. I think this pretty much completes my stable of one steel and three CF C&V bikes! Not really looking for anything else...........for now(?)......

Thanks again schnibop and DD!

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 05-26-12 at 01:44 AM.