Old 05-07-12, 10:31 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
spanninga luceo review; your rating of the best inexpensive dynamo lights

A brief review of the Spanninga Luceo XS dynamo headlight, since I really couldn't find much good information before I bought it:

So, you might be looking for a dynamo headlight, and you might find this one on the Peter White Cycles site, the very cheapest he sells. And you might figure it's worth buying. Let me save you some time and money: it's not. Now, I don't at all take part in the the cold-war-style headlight arms race that often prevails around this forum ; my wife and I ride only for transportation, and only in the city, so we're only concerned with being seen. The Luceo, though, doesn't do it.

It's rated at 10 lumens; driven with a Shimano dynohub, it really seemed quite faint.

It also seemed to draw too much power in relation to the rear light, leaving the rear light pretty useless.

Finally, it doesn't seem to have a built-in rectifier -- when powered with an AC dynamo, it flashes at low speed -- so I don't suspect that it will last long without a separate rectifier.

On the plus side, the standlight is fairly bright.

Anyway, if you're looking to save money on a dynamo headlight, you might want to look elsewhere. From what I've seen, the B&M Lyt N is pretty much the most inexpensive light that'll do the job on US city streets.

What's your opinion? What's the cheapest way to outfit your bike with acceptably bright front and rear dynamo lights for city use, both with standlights?