Old 05-07-12, 11:27 AM
OhioCyclone

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you both made it through Okay. Drivers really need to understand that we as cyclists are not going anywhere. More and more legislature is being passed daily. Sooner or later people may begin to turn in plates and so on, myself included.

I am in a similar boat of trusting absolutely no one behind the wheel of a vehicle. Last week, I was traveling in the opposite direction climbing a hill. I have a route that kind of switch backs through the old part of the town I live in. It is constant spinning with intervaled mashing at very "granny like gears" just to maintain momentum. Man does it give a good burn. Anyways, as i was coming to the top of the last switch back, a car was pulling out of a driveway from a church. The driver stopped, and then proceeded to pull directly out in front of me, waving to say "Thanks for letting my 200 hp gasoline driven car go ahead of you, even though your clearly pedaling using your own volition to climb this hill." I must have been moving so slowly that they thought I was stopping. Of course I was "cleat engaged." Brain said stop when they pulled out, hand hit the brake, and my rear hit the pavement. So here I am laying in the middle of the road, tires to the sky, both feet engaged. Of course the driver pulled away oblivious.

I know it may not be entirely there fault, giving the circumstances, and what could have been going through their head. However, that doesnt stop my rear end, and shoulder from hurting. Nor did it stop the instant rage I felt while lying in my own wreckage. Best part was there was a car behind me. He passed me as i was all tangled up. No decency I feel.