View Single Post
Old 05-07-12, 12:00 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Golden State Race Series. Crit on Saturday, Circuit Race on Sunday.

Raced twice on Saturday. E3 in the morning. Finished 7th. Which was an awesome result for me, as it was my first top 10 as a Cat 3. Even more awesome, it was our team race, and as I was head course marshal I spent half the race sitting at the back and just making sure that all the corner people were at their posts and doing their jobs. And I'd been up since 4:30 so I was tired going into the race. But with half a lap to go, the race strung out, then bunched up and I used my inside knowledge of the course to move up about 20 spots. It's just as well I didn't finish 6th because I'd have had to donate my winnings back to the team fund.

P123 in the afternoon, last race of the day. Didn't really want to race, but was talked into it. A break got away after about 6 laps, which was fine with me. All I wanted to do was finish with the main pack, which I did. And that actually was a more impressive finish for me anyway. I've only ever done a few P123 races and never even finished one before, so it was a significant achievement for me.

Sunday was the circuit race. I had a lot more corners and intersections to make sure were covered and I just never felt comfortable leaving it to someone else. Also, I was completely knackered after arriving at the race course at 5:30 am for the second day in a row. (And I later discovered (this morning in fact) that I forgot my shoes anyway. D'oh!)

I also want to say to CDR and everyone else who puts on a race that it's damn hard work. Damn hard work. I will never ever again pin on a number without remembering to find one of the organizers and officials and say thanks.