Old 05-07-12, 01:03 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Golden State Race Series. Crit on Saturday, Circuit Race on Sunday.

Raced twice on Saturday. E3 in the morning. Finished 7th. Which was an awesome result for me, as it was my first top 10 as a Cat 3. Even more awesome, it was our team race, and as I was head course marshal I spent half the race sitting at the back and just making sure that all the corner people were at their posts and doing their jobs. And I'd been up since 4:30 so I was tired going into the race. But with half a lap to go, the race strung out, then bunched up and I used my inside knowledge of the course to move up about 20 spots. It's just as well I didn't finish 6th because I'd have had to donate my winnings back to the team fund.

P123 in the afternoon, last race of the day. Didn't really want to race, but was talked into it. A break got away after about 6 laps, which was fine with me. All I wanted to do was finish with the main pack, which I did. And that actually was a more impressive finish for me anyway. I've only ever done a few P123 races and never even finished one before, so it was a significant achievement for me.

Sunday was the circuit race. I had a lot more corners and intersections to make sure were covered and I just never felt comfortable leaving it to someone else. Also, I was completely knackered after arriving at the race course at 5:30 am for the second day in a row. (And I later discovered (this morning in fact) that I forgot my shoes anyway. D'oh!)

I also want to say to CDR and everyone else who puts on a race that it's damn hard work. Damn hard work. I will never ever again pin on a number without remembering to find one of the organizers and officials and say thanks.
I raced more than a few races with a marshal radio in my pocket. Other racers would comment to each other "Hey, that's illegal right?" "Don't worry, it's a marshal radio". Yes, there was info on the radio (you could kind of tell where a break was based on the "Break at turn one..... pack at turn one" stuff) but it was in my pocket so I could barely hear it and everyone behind me could hear it better. I used one a couple times when there was a crash, a misplaced marshal, or a car on the course.

I race better at Bethel than anywhere else. Not sure why but the whole "I'm promoting the thing" seems to be a huge driving factor.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again - I never won a summer race, only Bethels or some smaller fall races. I've only placed once in a P123 race other than Bethel (meaning in the points, top 6, i.e. 6th). I think the promoting thing is part of it.

I'm lucky, I get to sleep until 5:15 for the Bethels.

I don't thank promoters enough. I bolded that line to remind me to do so more often.

Oh, and I keep any race winnings (or give them to the team that helped, whatever works out - they've refused every time so far). It's usually how I pay for the next 4-5 entries.

Last edited by carpediemracing; 05-07-12 at 01:07 PM.