Old 05-08-12, 09:48 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
...............Which brings me to my question: anybody know how the main tubes are glued into the alloy lugs on there frames? I'd bet real money that there's nothing like threading cut into carbon kevlar tubes, regardless how they may or may not be on a conventional ALAN alloy tube frame.
Any ridges inside the lug sockets to hold the glue?
I remember when I was cleaning up the thresds on the BB shell, I think I saw what looks like aluminum plugs that glue into the ends of the CF tubes going into the BB shell. They must have been pressed or screwed in with the glue. I think they might act like conical wedges that will make it hard to pull out the CF tubes from the BB shell.
I'll take a pic of it and post it up as it seems like the bonding methods for these early CF frames remains to be a mystery for most of us.
I did not see the same aluminum plugs at the head tube. Just small holes that lines up with the center of the TT and DT as you might sometimes see in brazed steel frames. I have no idea what the holes are for, but I suspect that they could have been used to align the tubes when assembling them in the factory. I suspect that more conventionsl bonding methods are used in that area.

Chombi