Old 05-09-12, 08:30 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
the story is so affected!

"unmitigated gall"

"Lt. Chowderhead"

"capable of speeds that would make Lance Armstrong giggle like a schoolboy"

all in the first few hundred words. That last one- I don't think so.

Written like an attempt to win the 'worst bicycle writing' award from the Onion or something!

The writer also mentions in his story setup how he frequently gets comments from motorists it's difficult to see him on his vehicle.

Astonishing.

I suggest a safety flag and a superflash and a front LED blinky for anyone riding a tricycle.
I pretty much agree, and I think the bit about not having hi-viz devices (lights/flag) is what will get him convicted of Unsafe Operation. The cop did it right; he didn't write the ticket for a BS offense like "riding a bicycle in the traffic lane"; he wrote it for unsafe operation and can come up with a good justification of that, based on visibility of the low-slung bike. His explanation of the unsafe operation might be kind of bogus, at least in a cyclist's eyes, but when discernment/judgment is involved, the bench will side with the cop every time. If the guy is st00pid enough to ask for a jury trial, he'll find that jurists hate bicycles more than law enforcement (Reed Bates found that out the hard way). Like Reed, arrogance will be his downfall.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."