Old 05-09-12, 08:37 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For those of us with flat feet/discomfort (lengthy)

Much has been posted lately about foot discomfort and possible remedies. The thread typically dwindles into twitchy and opinionated conjecture from some who have not experienced true foot pain that is either caused by or magnified by cycling. Hopefully this thread can be made sticky and open to constructive comments.

As one who has lived with foot discomfort through the years (from the age of 21), I have tried many things, many treatments, and many devices. All have helped in their own way, some more than others.

Orthotics
When plantar faciitis first entered my life, I could not walk when getting out of bed from the pain in my heel (I was 25). Relief was found through my chiropractor, who got me into some personalized/molded orthotics. Once I wore these out, I never replaced them, but the PF never returned. Discomfort, however, was perpetuated by the wearing of cheap shoes that provided no support. Over the years, this took its toll and made PF look like a Swedish massage.

I tried the orthotic route again, this time with Good Feet arch supports. I understood the science, and the product still looks brand new to this day. The trouble is, it can really hurt flat feet if worn daily, so it has been worn based on how my feet feel when I get up.

One day, I happened by some Walk Fit orthotics in Bed Bath & Beyond (the As Seen on TV ones). They were $20, so I tried them, and I have to say they were head and shoulders better than the Good Feet for which I paid $245.

While in Big Lots yesterday, I came across the same Walk Fit orthotics for $6 - I bought every pair in my size, and my feet are happier than ever.

Physical Therapy
After employing the use of orthotics for years, I went on a whim to see a physical therapist that came on a recommendation. I won't go into the details as every case is different, but the logic he showed me was flawless. Orthotics can help, but they simply treat the site of the discomfort. The discomfort itself was brought on by years of walking incorrectly, which made its way down to the foundation of my body. While orthotics try to correct from the feet up, it is easier to treat from the waist down. I was locking out my knees and walking on the outside of my feet. After only three months of focusing on my posture and cadence when I walk (I know, it sounds easy), my feet feel a definite benefit.

Acupuncture
Any commentary is welcome. I am going to my first appointment this weekend to see if it is yet another element in the solution. Has anyone had results from acupuncture? I will report after several treatments as I suspect is not like taking a pill to quell an allergy.

Diet
Another topic that has been beaten to death in this forum is that of diet and vices. During my boozing days, I made a lot of bad decisions. Nothing illegal, mind you, but when you're loaded, you tend to make some questionable decisions. I was a smoker because of my drinking, and my diet was pretty bad (bar food, mac and cheese, no vegetables - you get the idea). When my drinking ceased, my diet followed, and smoking after that. This is not a post to condemn those who still drink or smoke or eat fried food (Richie), it is merely something I noticed. When my body got healthier, my feet felt better.

No one thing/change in my life made it all better, but there are many contributing factors. If you have the bad feet, for God's sake, see a professional in this field. Start somewhere. Don't just accept it.

And to think, this whole post started with $6 orthotics at a discount store