Old 05-10-12, 04:55 AM
brian416
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LACyclist
Irony here is that I could have 2 of these yellow S-works, both in my size, when they came out a couple of years ago or so. One was in a Specialized owned shop near me in Santa Monica built out with SRAM, and the other was just a frame in a box 30 miles away at another specialized shop I popped into on a ride and asked about.

I turned away from them bc it was a big special event by Specialized and BMC and one of the Specialized company executives from Northern California was there, told me to take this particular bike with the SRAM and not to change it out with Shimano--he did not recommend an adapter--basically that this bike was designed for SRAM and that is it. So I was turned off, and let it go. It was a really nice looking bike--I went back to look at it. That shop in Santa Monica has a wealthy clientele and the sales staff has a bit if an attitude to go along with it--I have been interested in bikes there a few times and they are tough to get anyone's quality attention. But the bike came in at approx. 5600.00 on the tag I kind of recall. Was told this was a limited edition frame with less than 50 in production and a few of those being held by Specialized in No Calif not to be sold at that time.

The other aspect of that bike was that one of the local Specialized Reps cautioned that S-works is not really for weekend riders or distance riders, that its a harsher riding model for a professional class rider. Not sure that is true or not--but I just was not getting the confidence at this event or in that shop that I needed to plunk down 6 big ones on a bike.

Sometimes in bike shops in my locality, because rents are so expensive and competition so fierce, there is way too much attitude and not enough bike help. I usually like to get out of the city to get more attention. A few years ago, one of the sales guys at the Specialized shop told me on a test drive day that if he does not sell one by the end of the weekend--he may be done so come in and talk to him after the ride... Buying a bike can be like buying a car sometimes I guess.
There's no reason you can't ride an S-works bike as a non racer. I've ridden my S-works SL2 across the US in a month, they're great long distance bikes as long it is setup for you.

You might want to go into a specialized shop and have them check out the dealer website, there's probably some yellow SL3s in the warehouses that haven't sold.