View Single Post
Old 05-10-12, 07:09 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
How to secure sleeping bag to rack?

OK, so I'm leaving on my first loaded tour tomorrow. Got my Bob Jackson World Tour back from the shop yesterday and added a Tubus Cargo rear rack as well as Nitto M12 rack on the front. I'll be using Ortlieb Classic Rollers to carry most of my gear, but I'm wondering what is the best way to secure my tent, ground pad and sleeping bag to the rack? I've got some bungee cords as well as an elastic bike rack cord that I picked up at Performance. The tent and ground pad are both long, so I'm assuming that they'll fit best lengthwise along the rack, secured by bungees. But what about the sleeping bag? I've seen a lot of photos of touring bikes with sleeping bags wedged behind the seatpost, but I'm not sure how to secure it like that. Another option would be to lash it to the front rack with the elastic rack cord, but I would rather use the front rack for bag to carry tools, wallet, food, etc., and it may not be large enough to hold a sleeping bag. So really, my main issue is how to secure the sleeping bag to the rear rack or behind the seatpost.