View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 08:18 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Weight Loss for power to weight ratio

I am aiming to lose weight for my power to weight ratio 49 year old male 5'10" 180

I noticed on Strava that I was maintaining watts in the same range as a fellow rider whom was more than 2 mph faster. I realize that even with weight loss I might not climb as well as my friend however all I have is weight to lose so why not? Climbing has never been my specialty and I seek to improve it as best I can. A fellow rider that climbs well suggested weight loss, I agree as I can pinch more than an inch. I am not fat I just aged this way

Ride mentioned below

http://app.strava.com/rides/7923704

my goal is 168

I am probably on the high end of average with body fat in the 20-21 percent range Of course I would like to lose fat and go into the 15 percent range here but by the percentages that is not enough to reach my goal

I read some good information regarding fat loss on this thread Pre-breakfast ride = weight loss?

However the go slow to burn would seem to not help my power which is the whole point.

I am reducing and counting my calories and modifying my diet with healthy choices

I plan to introduce weight training of a couple hours a week any suggestions on exercises and reps welcomed

I ride 3-4 times per week 2 at 20 miles normal training ride longer distances on week ends training ride below

http://app.strava.com/rides/8152748

The question is how do I reduce weight and fat and gain power at the same time for cycling.

I do not expect overnight success and realize a commitment for more than a cup of coffee