View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 08:54 AM
bored117 

Bikes: Lynskey R230 DA DI2 ENVE 3.4 SES, 6KU Fixie, Cheap Aluminum Slapstick Trainer only bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is how I was going at it...
Counting calories.. it got old fast... if I gained 10lbs over a year, that means I overate by 82 calories a day only... that just isn't true. Also, I felt like I am starting to loose my power and recovery came slower it seemed.
Read "The Big Book of Endurance training and racing" by Dr. Maffetone, Mark Allen and "Endurance Nerd" by John Weirath (contradicting view)
As I have done Atkins diet to success couple years back (with no exercise... wasn't back in cycling or anything)... I kind of mixed and matched my past experience for last two month to quite a good success.
2 components is what I've implemented and adhering to.

1) Cut out any highly refined Carb. No pasta, no rice, cookie, Ice cream, etc. I am a big meat eater anyways and like veggies and fruits so it wasn't a big loss. My snacks usually are apple/almond/nuts. Breakfast is never missed with 2-3 eggs, steamed veggies, maybe chicken patty or something. Lunch is salad with some kind of meat or fish. Dinner is salad/veggie/and whatever kind of food (maybe a small quantity of foods I typically avoid... this is the time I eat with Family and also post work out). Only time I would be actively eating refined carb is post work out or during (gel/bar/etc). Occasionally I will indulge in bite size chocolate just so I don't feel I am left out.

2) Change the training pattern. For me my Maffettone HR is 146. At least twice a week I will do 2-3 hours ride with proper warm up/cool down as well as keeping the HR at there for majority of time (it actually happens to land on my lower limit of endurance zone for my FTP). On the weeks I feel strong and rested, I will throw in 1-3 hours ride with maybe interval of total 30 min - 2 hours of 85-95% of my FTP effort. Again, I spend plenty of time for warming up and cooling down. - Idea here is to get your aerobic base working better (better utilization of fat, and still put a little strength training when your body is ready to take the 'next step')

In last 2 months, I lost additional 5lbs (gained a little recently but my waist line is same... guessing I am actually building muscle right now) from counting carb (where I did lose about 10lbs... but I felt not quite healthy toward end), and while I haven't checked, seems like my FTP went up 5% (based on HR vs power output I've been looking at). And best of all, feeling healthy and strong every day.

Hope this helps