View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 11:17 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
i may not have used the correct terminology initially, i'm not looking to cold-set the frame into a 130mm, i'm just talking about spreading (or "spring" as FBinNY said) the stays by hand and putting the wheel in. it's only 2mm on each side, but i didn't know if having the stays under that constant little bit of stress was a problem.
It might eventually lead to a failure, but probably not in your lifespan.

Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem though, and i have put the wheel in and out as i am building up the frame, it's not as nice as just sliding right in, but the stays have enough flex that i can do it fairly easily.
Depending on the shape of your dropouts, you can file bevels, or "guide ramps" at the slot's entry area. This helps to pick up the axle and guide it in. Just be sure not to file to the area where the axle faces end up, since you need the full width flat support to hold the wheel properly.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.