View Single Post
Old 05-11-12, 12:39 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallo
However the go slow to burn would seem to not help my power which is the whole point.
If you go on long (3-5 hr) rides at 65% of VO2Max you will maximize your fat burning and your power will go up as well.
The question is how do I reduce weight and fat and gain power at the same time for cycling.
Lose weight slowly. You indicated you don't expect overnight results and you shouldn't. Training to increase power requires well fuelled muscles. If you start cutting back too much on your intake you will compromise the effectiveness of your workouts.

I would recommend focussing on the weight loss first. If you can up your ride time substantially and train 10-15 hrs a week you will gain power even if you aren't doing intervals. After 15-20 weeks of base training you should be at your goal weight and you can switch your focus to increasing power.

I think riding would be a better use of your time than weight training if you are trying to improve your climbing speed. At this point strength is not holding you back.